Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Oh Romeo


While looking for that last video I posted, I found this montage of Romeo + Juliet scenes with Radiohead's Talk Show Host playing over it.  This movie was my sixth grade obsession.  I watched it as often as I could, went on Geocities (!) fan sites for it, and even remember YM magazine having these collectible Romeo + Juliet postcards and me trying to collect every single one of them.  I memorized all the lyrics to The Cardigans' "Lovefool", and I tried to model my narrator outfit for our Greek play after one of Claire Danes' Miu Miu Juliet gowns.  And then I went obsessive-stalker on Leonardo DiCaprio, and found out everything from how he got his name to his unattractive model girlfriend at the time.  I recall being disappointed upon discovery that he was a Scorpio because I'm a Gemini, and Scorpios + Geminis are supposed to have ill-compatibility*.  And I was even more saddened by the fact that he was 23 or something at the time, and I was only 12, as if the only thing preventing us from being together was our age difference.

And then time passed and Titanic happened, I grew up, he got all fat and my love affair with him ended.  I was a superficial teenager and had moved on to other boy wonders like Freddie Prinze Jr.  Sorry Leo.  However, amongst all the other Bop-tastic boys - from Devon Sawa (I'm embarrassed to even type that name) to Trent from Daria (yes, a cartoon), you will always hold a particularly special place in my heart.


*boyfriend now is a Scorpio, woops!  I defy you stars!
*Leo's ex-girlfriend, Bar Rafaeli, has the same exact birthday as me.  Same day, year.  I guess if I became a supermodel my 12-year-old dream could come true!

No comments: