Monday, March 04, 2013

BBMine

So... I'm a bad Asian. I can't speak my language, I'm bad at math, and I just bought my first BB cream. And I love it (the cream).

About a year ago, I posted about Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer and how much I loved it, that I had found a makeup product I would happily smear all over my face. And while I do love it, for some reason, I just never really wear it. I still have the tube, but I don't wear it regularly, or even once a month. I think it's because although I do like it, it's not very matte, and it makes my face feel kind of slippery or wet or something. I know, I know. This can probably be fixed with some loose powder. But I really don't like the feeling (and look) of a lot of makeup on my skin.

That is, until I bought the Missha Perfect Cover BB cream last week. I was at the Japanese store inside the mediocre Westside Pavilion mall, and picked it up in shade 23. It wasn't a complete impulse buy - I had researched this particular BB cream before and had the same cream in shade 27 in my Amazon cart. 23 was the darkest shade the store had (for all the Asians who want pale, porcelain skin), but I wanted to buy it anyway because it was available in person.

As it goes whenever I get new beauty products, I went online immediately for reviews. I had heard that Asian BB cream shades were slightly grey and that was what worried me most since I'm tan with yellowish undertones. Another concern was that I seemed to be darker than most of the reviewers who used this shade. Most recommended shade 23 for NC25-30 skin tones, and I think I'm more of an NC30-35+. But surprisingly, this BB cream was fine. It comes out of the tube greyish, but oxidizes into my skin without any major issues. It's thicker than my Laura Mercier TM, but it also leaves my skin more matte, and really doesn't feel like I'm wearing anything on my face. It evens out my skin and covers minor flaws like undereye darkness. And the best part? The SPF42, and the supposed fabulous qualities it has - anti-aging, whitening, and overall evening out of the skin.

And even though shade 23 works fine for me, I'd probably still try shade 27 because I do think it would be a better match overall. I've read it has more yellow undertones and is more suited to those who are NC30+. I think the 23 may leave a very slight grey cast on me, but nothing that anyone would really notice unless I pointed it out. I would also recommend the Asian brand BB creams over the American versions. I've heard the American ones are just glorified tinted moisturizers without as many skin benefits, and I always like to use the version closest to the original as possible.

So far, I've worn it every weekday (I avoid makeup Saturday mornings/afternoons) and I haven't felt like I did with the Laura Mercier - somewhat wet, and afraid that if I touched it with anything, it would leave a big orange/brown smear. We'll see how long this honeymoon period lasts. I find it really hard to continuously use certain makeup products on a daily or regular basis. Aside from eyeliner or mascara, everything else just kinda sits in my bag and expires (hello Tom Ford Indian Rose lipstick). But so far, so good!

Update 3/19/13: Still loving and wearing this BB cream on a week-daily basis! I think the combo of high SPF + slight coverage did it for me. It's more than just a makeup product, it's a skincare product as well. I just ordered the 27 from the Missha site, however, so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully it'll make me more glowy.

No comments: