Monday, March 04, 2013

Vintage Peignoir

The only thing I miss about my old, odious job from 2008-2011? The House of Return thrift store on Washington, just a minute away from the office. It's a no-frills type of place run by some lady with lots of makeup and heavy brown bangs who really isn't too friendly, but who cares? This is a Jewish thrift store, not Barneys. As long as she isn't a total heinous bitch, I don't mind. I can usually find something great and unique here, and that alone overrides the lack of customer service. Of course this type of store isn't as edited as a place like The Way We Wore, and you have to dig through lots of faded black Express dresses from the mid-90s and shoulder-padded Escada suits to find your silky beaded tops, but it's totally worth it.

Anyway, after a short day at work a couple weeks ago, I decided to make the trip out to Culver City and take a gander at what was in store. Immediately, I found this lacy, perfectly flowy peignoir set sitting in front of their "designer" rack. It's by vintage designer Tosca, and similar or exact peignoir sets like this go for $200+ online (under $50 for me!). I pictured myself in this, perched at my mirrored vanity whilst spritzing perfume on or powdering my face with a big, exaggerated pouf. I had to have it.

The picture obviously doesn't do it justice. It's super pretty and delicate, with pearl buttons, and is in excellent vintage condition. Once I get my own place, I will wear this and float around my apartment with a cigarette and glass of champagne in hand. I mean, what else would you do with a peignoir set such as this?

P.S. The cigarette is all for looks. I think smoking is one of the worst things in the world, next to bleu cheese and dentists.

No comments: