Monday, December 27, 2010

...


There are over two hundred comments on the photo above on The Sartorialist. Usually when a picture receives an extraordinary amount of comments it's for an extraordinary shot, outfit, person, or all of the above. Some may disagree with me, but I don't think this shot is really anything that special. It's about the shoes. The shoes are the hoopla.


Dansko. Sigh. Several commenters love their clogged comfort. Several say "wait until you try them on!" But for me there is absolutely nothing this shoe can do to redeem its ugly factor. Ugly is the main adjective to describe these shoes and dominates any positive qualities the shoe may have. I understand if you must wear them for work - nursing, serving, occupations where you are forced to be on your feet all day and where style plays no part. But even if I were in one of these positions (and I have been in positions where I've been forced to be on my feet for entire shifts), I would have a very difficult time buying these. If I need comfort, a simple ballet flat will do. If I need even more comfort, I'll stick one of those Dr. Scholls inserts in them. These Danskos are rugged, wide, unfeminine, and fulfill a non-hetero stereotype for women.

I'm sure this is a lovely gal dressed in APC with sore and tired feet. But I cannot condone such unattractive footwear. I guess if anything, they're better than Crocs.

No comments: