Friday, December 29, 2006

Topless

Everyday I go into my closet thinking I need more tops, sweaters, jackets - typically tops. It often feels like I don't have much even though I spend countless hours searching for the perfect jeans, jacket, whatever. I realized recently though, that what makes a lot (note: not all) of my style are basic sweaters and tops. They get spruced by a colorful purse, necklace, and the just-right boots. Hanging in my closet, these items look like nothing special. It's when it's put together that it becomes more interesting. Good hair is a must as well. Don't you feel gross if your hair is bad that day (even if the clothes are good)? If hair is bad, all else fails. Nothing else matters if hair is nasty. Good hair days are a necessity. At least to me.

Everytime I go home my mom calls me "shoe collector". I think she's referring to the cheapo shoes I bought in high school and left at home when I moved out. Man, but I wish I could collect shoes the way I want to collect shoes. I need more $ for that though. Like, $500-600 ish for a pair of shoes kinda money.

A big portion of my closet is dedicated to jeans, shoes, and more recently, purses and dresses. Lots of the dresses are dressier and can't be worn everyday or often at all. I have tons of jeans and shoes to wear all the time, but what about tops? Where are my tops? How come I find it so difficult to find a good shirt?

Most tops that I do have are basic. Basic knit turtleneck and crewneck sweaters. Basic tank tops. Black, white. They seem so dull when looking at them in the closet and my dresser. I realized it's the accessories that jazz up my ensembles. So it's these I need to splurge (as "splurgy" as I can do) on. Shoes, bags, jewelry, etc. They make up and complete the "outfit".

Which reminds me, I love tights. In all colors. Knit tights, especially. They are wonderful during winter underneath everything, even when not showing, to keep me ohsowarm.

1 comment:

Lauren Messiah said...

I am in the same boat. All of my tops end up being black and none stand out on their own. BUT damn when I put something together. Wowsa :) hehe.