Wednesday, June 09, 2010

California Girls



California girls we're unforgettable, daisy dukes bikinis on top
... wait.

So Katy Perry has a new song out called "California Girls". I'm sure you've heard it, they play it all over top 40 stations like KIIS, and they will most definitely be playing it all summer until you can't stand it. But I have some problems with it. The song itself, the sounds, the melody, the beat - whatever, is pretty catchy. It's the lyrics I have an issue with.

Even though I'm a California girl, a Southern California girl even, I find the lyrics "daisy dukes, bikinis on top" unfortunate. Although I think Katy (or whoever writes her music) obviously meant for it to be a happy, positive song for summer, I feel the imagery given off by its lyrics is a negative one of "California girls". Daisy dukes? Bikinis on top? Maybe for Pam Anderson or Britney Spears circa the time before-she-got-really-crazy-but-still-had-bad-fashion-taste. Isn't that a little too hooch? She could have easily incorporated a more fashionable California girl's style into the song. Maybe some jersey or eyelet type dresses and sunglasses? She could have also even thrown in some labels often seen on girls here - C&C California, Michael Stars, Rachel Pally, you know, all the tshirt brands.

Later in the song, Katy also sings that California girls "don't mind sand in our stilettos". I definitely mind sand in my stilettos! But firstly, I would most likely not be wearing spike heels to an event that involved sand (a flat sandal, wedge will do), but who likes sand in your shoe? It's so uncomfortable and your feet feel dirty! Katy is from California herself, so does she find this California girl style appealing? Or did it just sound better with the rest of the song?

I know it's a catchy song and even features Snoop Dogg, but I think us "California girls" have better style and taste than shorts with buttcheek peeking from the bottom and dirty sandy feet. Sorry Katy.

No comments: