Thursday, August 05, 2010

New Hobby




So I've gotten into this thing in the past year or so with wanting to decorate an apartment I do not have. My room is great and all, but it's a bit small since my bed takes up the entire space. Not too long ago, I purchased the armoire posted here, and it took up any free space I had left. I still need a bookshelf for all my books that lay cluttered along my walls, and I would also like some additional but unnecessary decorating items. I have visions in my head of a future studio/apartment with shiny hardwood floors, crown molding, and pretty French balconies. I don't plan on moving out anytime soon, so this new little penchant for pretty home things must come from either boredom or reaching a quarter-century realization that I am getting older and may need some home items.

A few weeks ago on lunch, I visited the TJ Maxx nearby. The clothes leave much to be desired, but I go here sometimes to look for novelty soaps, inexpensive shoes, and home stuff. I found these Shabby Chic-ish plates that I loved but had absolutely NO reason to buy. I don't need plates, I don't even know what I would do them until I have my own place. I got them anyway. I also found some crystal candlestick holders that were so pretty and would look great with the plates on an imaginary dinner table. These I passed on, but I still think about them. Along with the plates, I also have a duvet, matching shams, towels, frames that have no place in my room, etc.

So here I am collecting various pretty things for a nonexistent apartment. A lot of it doesn't even go with each other so when I actually have to use them, they will either mismatch or be useless. I like the shabby chic look, but not TOO shabby chic (I hate it when people call broken run-down crap "shabby chic" when really it's just old junk), and I love the black and white floral-y prints like the little photos on the side of my blog. But both don't really go together and I have items for both motifs. I guess I'll figure it out when it is necessary for me to use these things in an actual place of living!

No comments: