Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Puccini



I don't recall the first time I heard this song, but the first time it motivated me to find out more about it was after watching the wonderfully pugalicious Valentino documentary.

Since none of the lyrics were in English, and I had no idea who it was by or where to start, I had boyfriend hunt it down for me. He had the artist and title ready for me by the time I got back from the gym (gym? yes).

Fitting for Valentino's last show, it's a song about goodbye. Listening to it doesn't give me a sense of finality, though - it's more inspirational. It's most likely because I relate it to Valentino's success and the influence he leaves to his successors and the fashion world. Listening to this song takes me to the scene where Valentino does his final runway walk, post-show. Standing ovations, smiles, tears, hugs, kisses. All of this gushing emotion for cultivating a legacy in what he loved most - fashion design (and pugs!). And during all the celebration, this song plays in the background. Definitely a goodbye and bittersweet scene in the movie, but one of motivation and inspiration to me. Whenever I hear this in the future, it will always remind me of the attainability of dreams. Anything is possible with passion and determination. I often forget these little cliches in my de-motivating schedule of work and daily annoyances.

See the scene I write about here.

No comments: