Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Susiecakes


Yums. From left - top - strawberry, chocolate mint, peanut butter. Bottom - pecan brownie (seasonal), vanilla, red velvet


I know the cupcake trend has been around for at least five years, and several have said that the donut or the whoopie pie (both delicious) is the "new" cupcake. Well, as stated before, I don't care for trends. I love the taste and diminutive size of the cupcake and that's all that matters.

NOW, I also know that Sprinkles is the much hyped go-to cupcake cupcakery in Los Angeles, but my opinion deviates from the general consensus. Susiecakes is my all-time favorite. MUCH better than Sprinkles with lighter, fluffier cake, and a yummy soft buttercream frosting for $3. About $.25 or $.50 (not sure) cheaper than a massive Sprinkles cupcake. Aside from cupcakes, Susiecakes also makes the trendy whoopie pie, puddings, cookies, brownies, etc. Their claim to fame is their "All American, Homestyle Bakery". They aren't pretentious and they don't have lines out their doors, but that doesn't mean they aren't delicious. I normally venture over to the Brentwood location, but I know they have locations in Calabasas, Manhattan Beach, and others. I love the vanilla (as boring as it may seem) and mint chocolate flavors, but I've also heard their Red Velvet (a flavor I feel is highly overrated) and peanut butter are also scrumptious. Highly recommended!

It's fatty because hey, it's a bakery. But it's worth it to be a little chunky for some of that yummy buttercream frosting!

No comments: